Day 24…What attracts you (In love)
- A strong faith-This is absolutely essential. The number one thing that I find attractive in a guy is a rock-solid Christian faith; someone who knows God’s Word and puts Jesus first in his life. Bonus points if they enjoy conversations about faith-related matters.
- Good values-Another essential. By good values, I mean law-abiding (God’s law and civil law), clean cut, and respectful. For me to have even the slightest amount of interest in a guy, he has to be a gentleman. Basically, this can be summed up in the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). Furthermore, the guy has to see me as an equal with my own personality, hopes, and dreams, and respect my desire to have a career.
- Considers the feelings of others-This means someone who is sensitive to the feelings of others (even those who aren’t in their company) and an all-around compassionate person. A lack of empathy is honestly one of my biggest turn-offs, as it speaks volumes about their character (Or lack thereof). I’m attracted to guys who are kind, courteous, and civil towards others; even those whom he disagrees with.
- Depth-Because I absolutely love discussing life, depth is something that I’m drawn to. I love when someone can shed new light on something or get me to look at an issue from a different perspective. The guy does not have to be an extravert, but he does have to enjoy conversation and be able to handle my random musings on life. I believe being able to converse and enjoy each other’s company is essential to any relationship.
- Common intersts-I always find it cool when someone I like shares my interests. C.S. Lewis says “Friendship … is born at the moment when one man says to another “What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . .” For me, the same applies for guys I’m attracted to. This could mean similarities in hobbies, personality, or the way we see the world. Obviously there have to be some differences (After all, you can’t very well have an interesting conversation with someone who is identical to you), but overall, I tend to gravitate towards people who I can relate to.
How about you? What do you believe are important qualities in a person? As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions!